Tuesday, October 2, 2012

BBQ Caribou Pizza Cups

Last month Shane's brother gave us a caribou. There is sooo much meat it fills both our regular freezer and the deep freezer. Because of this, we don't plan on buying any other meat for a while. So I have been trying to think of new ways to use the caribou so we don't just have fried caribou and rice every night. Tonight I made BBQ Caribou Pizza Cups. It's sort of a combination of a couple recipes we have tried in the past year or so.

First, I cut up some caribou into small cube-like pieces and started frying that. When it was fully cooked I added some BBQ sauce into it. I used Tony Roma's because that's what Shane likes.



Then I started mixing together the pizza dough (recipe posted below). Lately I have been making everything from scratch. It's way cheaper and usually tastes a lot better. And for those of you who may be wondering, this is not a gluten free recipe but could easily be made gluten free by just using gluten free flour. Anyway, back to the recipe...William loves helping me mix the dough. We like to use our hands...it's more fun and it mixes things up better.

Once the dough was nice and stretchy (somewhat but hardly sticky) I broke it in half. Then broke each half in half. Then broke each half of the half into thirds...got that? That will give you 12 pieces of dough all the same size. I rolled them into balls then patted them flat and put them in the muffin pan.


Then I filled my pizza cups with the yummy BBQ caribou and topped with some shredded cheese. I only had cheddar but I bet mozzarella would have tasted really good, too.


Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes (give or take depending on your oven).

I didn't taste them because they are gluten but Shane and William liked them. Let me know if you try them and if you like it!!!



Pizza dough recipe found at Allrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

Directions

  1. Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water. Spread out on a large pizza pan. Top as desired.
  2. Bake at 375 degrees C (190 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment