Tuesday, October 16, 2012

In the past few weeks I have made a couple discoveries: 1) Cookie dough can be frozen in balls to bake as needed and 2) you don't need to use eggs to make cookies! These were very exciting things to learn! Shane likes to have cookies at night and he usually asks for them after the kids are in bed. However, William's room is right next to the kitchen and because I am afraid my mixer will wake him up I can't make cookies that late at night. But my problem is solved! I now cook 3-4 batches at one time in the morning. I freeze them into balls then put them in a ziploc bag once they are already frozen! On the bag I write the baking instructions for the cookies. Now I just pull out however many cookies Shane wants and bake them. No mess everytime we want cookies! So exciting! In addition to this, I have been googling and reading reviews on egg free recipes for just about everything. Eggs are too expensive to use for baking all the time!

So far, I have only tried banana cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and oatmeal cookies. All the recipes are egg free and freeze well. I will post the oatmeal cookies recipe below and if I can find the source for the chocolate chip recipe I will do that, too.

Here are my cookies freezing. The one in the middle is gluten free and it is missing some cookies because I ate them :-) Because it is an egg free recipe they are safe to eat raw! Yum!

My cookies in the bag with instructions already on it

And here is the oatmeal cookies recipe found at food.com. I made a double batch and did not use the pecans. Instead I put chocolate chips in half and raisins in the other half of the dough.

Oatmeal cookies
1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup flour
1/4 cup boiling water
3 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup pecans
1 cup chocolate chips
Directions:

1
Preheat oven to 375F.
2
Mix first six ingredients thoroughly.
3
Stir in nuts and chips.
4
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet.
5
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment