Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Homemade Pierogies

I decided to attempt to make home made pierogies. I found a good gluten free recipe online and it looked really easy. I decided to make them gluteny first, though, cause if they were gross I didn't want to waste gluten free flour. So last night I made them for Shane. I started at 6:15 and was finally finished them at 8:00. They took forever to make!! I think that next time they will be quicker, though, cause I know what to do now.

Yes, that's right...next time. Shane said they were pretty yummy so I will make them again. The only thing he said that I need to change is the size. They were about 3x the size of normal pierogies. I had no idea they would come out that big!! So anyway...here's the recipe for anyone who wants it:

Let's see if I can remember everything...

1+1/4 cup rice flour
1/2 cup potato flour
1/4 tapioca flour (I think...it might be a different type of flour)
at least 2 tbsp xantham gum
2 tbsp oil
1+ 1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt

Sift the dry ingredients (but I didn't do that...hehe)
Add the oil and water, stir pretty good then let it sit in the frig for a half hour or so (I only did for 28 minutes. )
Add extra flour to the dough until it is not too runny. You just gotta add flour until you think it's good. It shouldn't be tooooo dry. The recipe said you might have to add more xantham gum if its not sticking together well enough.

Roll out the dough on a floured surface. It is really important that there is enough flour on your surface cause it sticks real easy. Make it about 1/4 inch thick or so then use a cup to cut out circle shapes in it. Pull the circles up and fill them with your yummy fillings (I used mashed potatoes and cheese).

Fill a pot with water and let it come to a boil. Then put the stuffed pierogies in and keep them in until they begin to float. Then take them out and fry them in butter until they are the color you like.

Like I said...haven't tried them gluten free yet but Shane says gluteny is good (for gluten I just used 2 cups all purpose flour instead of the 3 types of flour and I used no Xantham gum.)

So go ahead and try it and let me know how it tastes. Anna Davis will reward the best tasting pierogie cooker. hehe.

3 comments:

  1. Wait so you are shipping me a sample of your pierogie? I don't think I've ever had one but I could definitely tell whether it is good or not. Thanks for making me the judge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think since Anna is the judge that she can probably make good ones . . . so, Momma, you gonna make supper for your kids?
    By the way Sands, love your little comments and recipe alterations. You are truly brave to risk not sifting the flour!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. alright martha stewart,i'll get liz right on that.

    ReplyDelete